Friday, August 15, 2014

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium


I lived in Ohio for 20-some years and it wasn't until after I left that I realized people were not kidding when they said Columbus has one of the best zoos around. First of all it's just enormous in size and while I have been gone for 10 years, I would still expect something like a zoo to be somewhat static, and this place is unrecognizable from the zoo I remember. They have rearranged the exhibits by continent, added a train, and even a boat ride, which currently features animatronic dinosaurs along the river.  There is a new African exhibit that is all the rage right now with most of the animals, 150 of them, all together in a savannah setting, the lions appear to be right there with them, an illusion. They have conveniently added a shuttle to more easily access this popular and farthest part of the park.









We returned a few weeks later and my Aunt Jaci and Uncle Steve joined us. We saw the rest of the zoo including the aquarium and reptile exhibits.



The kangaroo exhibit is neat because you walk right thru it, staying on a sidewalk.



My favorite part was the flying foxes! These things are the size of a small/medium dog with noses like a dog, but with up to 6ft wide bat wings! I'm kind of into bats lately, so for me, this was mind blowing!


A winding boat ride takes you thru mist to reveal an animatronic dinosaur display. The best part was the three dinosaurs that spit water at us and the snake that sprung out at us and made us jump in response.








No comments:

Post a Comment