Saturday, June 25, 2016

Waterfall hikes from Ainsworth State Park, Oregon

I was able to hike right from our campsite to a number of amazing waterfalls. I did these alone, so there is no one in the photos. You'll notice that the ground drops off to my right. The Columbia River runs below, and the State of Washington is visible on the other side.

The ground is so thick with plant life. This is looking up a steep embankment at these "balls" of plants covering the ground.

Even the trail itself is beautiful.


This was a joyous moment when I saw the first waterfall, Upper Horsetail Falls, from the trail!

The trail goes right underneath the falls, awesome!

So many shades of green.

Here you can see the Columbia River and Washington State on the other side.

Thank goodness for trail maintenance!

Tons of tiny waterfalls coming off of the fern-covered walls above the trail.


My first look at Oneonta Gorge, just look at those bright green, narrow walls! This one has been on my life list for some time. I hiked it from the bottom later in the week.


Switchbacks down to Oneonta's upper falls.



The upper falls flow into this area and then down the lower falls below. 
This is the top of the falls that I would later see from inside the Oneonta gorge.


Triple Falls was gorgeous, but it was getting late, so I only had about 10 minutes to enjoy it before heading back. A short time later it began pouring down rain. Fortunately I had cell service and was able to have the family pick me up from a trailhead along the old highway.


I love this Y-shaped tree.

I was glad I didn't have the kids with me on this one. A rock slide last year has made this trail a bit treacherous. This is why I research our hikes ahead of time. I knew this was the case and was happy to see it is passable at this time thanks to the hard working maintenance crew!
I really enjoyed doing these as one long hike from our campground, however each waterfall is accessible from different trailheads along the old scenic highway if you want to split them into some shorter hikes that are more reasonable for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment