Saturday, June 25, 2016

Oneonta Gorge

As soon as we decided to check out Portland, I looked up Oneonta Gorge to make sure we stayed close enough that I could finally cross this on off of my list. Pronounced "O-nee-ohn-tuh", it's a narrow gorge with steep, green walls and a waterfall at the end. I'd seen photographs and it's been on my list of things to see for years. The water is extremely cold, and what I'd read about the hike meant the kids couldn't go, which meant I had to do this alone. I had read about an enormous bone-braking, camera-steeling log jam and once you get past that, come the chest-deep ice cold water. Sounds like fun, eh?

Earlier in the week I had hiked over the top of the gorge, and saw this magnificent view of it. I just couldn't leave town without hiking thru the bottom of that gorge!


I watched the weather report and saw some record highs were coming our way. 
I had the great fortune of hiking this during one of those 80 degree days! 



The infamous log jam.



It is really a long jam to cross. I was only about half way across when I took this picture. You can see the size relative to the man coming towards me.

On the other side is the water. It was only ankle/shin deep for the most part.


Looking back at the log jam. 
It really wasn't THAT bad if you go really slow and carefully, but I can see how people get hurt. 



Right around here is where the water gets to be chest deep. I REALLY didn't want to experience that. I put my rock climbing skills to use and managed to climb up the wall and over the deepest part. I still ended up in waist-deep water, but that's better than the alternative.


Tall, narrow, green walls and ice cold, clear water.


And then I made it to the waterfall!


A fantastic hike! I hope to take my kids back one day when they are old enough to do this hike safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment