Friday, July 24, 2015

Bishop part two- more lakes, fireworks and a waterfall

The next day we were pretty tired from the previous day's hike, so we decided to go to Lake Sabrina which was only a short walk from the parking lot. We fly fished here. I caught one fish, which was unfortunately better than most fisherman that day. It was a "free fishing day" so there were lots of people there.








Afterwards we drove to another nearby lake which has this beautiful stream flowing into it.



It took me a bit to actually enter the water because although the water is crystal clear, there's deep, black mud between the path and the stream. I finally talked myself into just going for it, and dropped thigh-deep into the ice water. It was fun but I caught nothing. I could see fish looking at my fly, but they were either not hungry or too clever to bite. In the truck my legs were radiating cold thru my pants.


I was in awe, surrounded by such beauty. I asked Asher to bring my camera 
to me so I could take some photos from the water. These two are the result. 



We happened to be here on July 4th. Lucky for us, we could see the city's fireworks right from our campsite, yay, no traffic! I had picked up these special fireworks glasses at the campstore which were pretty impressive. They make any light glow with a kaleidoscope of color.


 The effect on fireworks!

Looking at the fire!

Asher fell asleep as soon as the fireworks ended. He was still roasting his marshmallow in the fire at the time.

When he woke the next morning the first groggy thing he said was, 
"I missed the fireworks!" I reassured him he had, in fact, seen every single one.



Finally it was time to pack up our tent and head to Vegas, but first, we hiked 
a waterfall that we'd noticed on our drive thru the John Muir Woods the previous day.



Made it to the waterfall!

Asa wasted no time by jumping right in!

Asher waded in the water and then Daddy leaned him back to dip his head in. When he pulled 
him out he had a mohawk....and ended up completely wet, which may have led to skinny dipping. 




On our way back, we took a different route passing by gold mine remains.

And then the trail just stopped. We improved and crossed the river using 
downed trees and made our way back to the original trail. 



Of course Asa laid in the one tiny muddy section towards the end of the hike, so we 
bathed her in the river before putting her in the truck for the 7 hour drive to Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment