Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The zoo, the perfect road trip break!

The trip from Elkhart, Indiana to New York's Finger Lakes was a long one, much longer than we like to have the kids in the truck. Erie, Pennsylvania was a nice mid point and it allowed us a few hours to enjoy their zoo.

We arrived just as the zoo was opening and this lioness was a little too interested in my kids right off the bat. Of course I didn't have a a memory card in my camera when she ran to the window and was swiping at them! When I came back with camera ready, she had calmed down a bit, but my kids were still a little nervous after her initial reaction.



She was still watching us, but not being aggressive. Although she did make my skin tingle when I took these close-ups and every time I leaned in, the pupils of her eyes dilated, fast and fully!



Outside the jaguar was alert and ran to the edge of his enclosure when employees walked a llama past. Daddy wondered aloud if they feed these animals live food.




The orangutans here wrap themselves in sheets. It seems weird, but apparently they like it that way. One walked around dragging the sheet with his foot so when he settled back onto a tree, he could quickly cover up again.



These tentacled snakes are what nightmares are made of. 
Remind me to not do any water-based activities in Southeast Asia!


The kids saw this giraffe licking his enclosure and said, "look, giraffe has a fish in his mouth!", haha.


Each square chimes a different sound when you step on it. The kids loved this.



...and the cave is spooky... when a dragon (aka daddy) is chasing you thru it!


The rest of their time was spent climbing this structure and flying down the slides.
It was the perfect break for our long road trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment