Friday, February 19, 2016

O-H I-O

In November I stumbled across an incredible airline deal, so the kids and I flew to Ohio to visit family. Unfortunately it was a red eye flight leaving at 10am (3hrs past their bedtime) and arriving in Cleveland (2hrs from our final destination) at 5am! OUCH! In the days leading up, I was incredibly stressed about the logistics of transporting 2 sleeping 40lb-ers and our suitcase. Thankfully they woke up enough to walk both to and from the airplane! I think they were just incredibly excited to see Grandpa waiting at the terminal for us. He so lovingly drove the two hours to come get us and bring us to his home.

We spent much of our time at the metro parks, hiking and looking for birds. Here we 
are checking out the live creatures at Blendon Woods Park, while waiting for cousin Lucy.




Afterwards we drove out to Dawes Arboretum, on of Grandma's favorite places to walk around.

Shooting hoops in Grandpa's barn.

I think we hiked at Highbanks 4 of the 6 days that we were there. The strangest part is that I had never been to this park before. We came for birding, but had so much fun walking the trails and exploring the nature center, we just kept coming back for more. The only disappointing thing was that we didn't see any of the eagles that nest there. Well, Asher actually saw one on our drive but I missed it! We kept going back with different family members- Uncle Jason, Aunt Christen, Benji, Avery, Lucy, Grandpa, Grandma, Grammy and Memaw! I love seeing the cousins hiking together!


Asher was super excited that he and Benji matched.




Memaw had the kids and I over for a slumber party with her and Grammy. We had fun, but my mom didn't get too much sleep with the kids next to her. I slept well with Grammy and they both let me sleep in....ahhhhhh!


My kids ended up sick, probably from the flight, so unfortunately we didn't get to see friends. On our last night, I was finally able to reconnect with two of my friends, Cindi and Bob, while our kids had fun playing together in Grandpa's barn.

On our way back to the airport, Grandpa drove us up to visit with his dad and stepmom before meeting my Aunt Jane and Uncle Barry for lunch. It was so nice to catch up with all of them.

Time to head home, and yes, Asher's leaf came with us. 

And this time we were more prepared for the flight!

The horned lizard that welcomed us home at LAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment