Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Tucson {Catalina State Park}


When researching a place to stay in the Tucson area, I came across Catalina State Park, and boy am I glad! The campground has a fantastic view of the majestic Santa Catalina Mountains. The photos almost look unreal. 



I found a nice variety of birds in the campground plus a few nests. One held Lesser Goldfinches that were near fledging. Vermillion Flycatchers and Round-tailed squirrels can easily be found in the campgrounds.



We also found a harmless, but bizarre-looking sun scorpion, and discovered quite a few black widows live under the picnic tables.


Beautiful views can be seen from the hiking trails. While birding the Sutherland Trail, I found a Great Horned Owl overlooking the wash. This is a special bird for me. When I turned 40, I asked God to show me an owl for my birthday. I hadn't been birding long and didn't even know if owls lived in the area we were traveling thru. A couple minutes after my husband called to say it was time to go, I heard it! An owl was hooting! I was able to follow the sound and locate it in a tree. Its camouflage so good I took two steps forward for a closer look and couldn't find it. Two steps back and yes, it was still there. Another confirmation that my heavenly father loves me and cares for me. Now whenever I'm blessed with a Great Horned Owl encounter, I'm reminded of the time God gave me an owl for my birthday.



That night I also had the great fortune to hear about a birding walk at the park the next morning! I joined the group at 6am. Our leader, Mary Ellen, led us to the park's most popular family- a nesting Long-eared Owl with three owlets! This was a lifer for me, so already exciting, but this is also the first documented LEOW nest in this park, so everyone was excited about it.


Here's my proof of seeing the Long-eared Owl. Not a great photo.

Seems Denali is wishing she could be outside while Daddy helps the kids with their Jr Ranger assignment.

While staying here we visited Saguaro National Park (see next post) and Sweetwater Wetlands, for birding purposes, of course. I enjoyed walking the wetland trails. Somehow the trees and water make it feel a dozen degrees cooler. There was plenty of wildlife to see. 

Desert Spiny Lizard (above)         Cinnamon Teal (below)
I really wanted a photo of a Western Whiptail, but they are SO FAST! As I was heading to the truck, a Desert Kingsnake crossed my path, and not more than 10 feet later, I spot a pair of mating whiptails! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment