Sunday, June 19, 2022

Phoenix and the White Tank Mountains

We hadn't see our friends Janelle and Justin in four years, so when I heard they moved back to Phoenix, we made plans to visit. We had a day and a half with them before they left for an event in Utah. We were so excited to see each other and reconnect that we forgot to take a group photo until we were leaving, and by then, the kids were sunburned and soaking wet from two days in the pool.

 
I love that we were all able to pick up right where we left off. And the best part was seeing how they have created two successful businesses, one that supplies all the coolest stuff for OHVs and the other provides ultrasound services for pregnant women who want a more personal experience or to have ultrasound at their gender reveal party or baby shower. The future looks bright for both of them!

While in Phoenix we stayed at Saguaro Skies on Luke AFB and discovered the coolest library! First of all, its location at the base of the White Tank Mountains creates an atmosphere that straddles the line between the city and the wilderness. The entire back wall is glass inviting you to have an experience with nature while still enjoying the comfort of air conditioning and padded chairs. Not only is the view pleasant, but I actually saw more wildlife from those chairs than when I walked the outdoor trail. Say's Phoebes, Thrashers, and rabbits were easily seen all beneath one tree. My children watched in delight as a family of quails with a dozen tiny puffball babies skittered by just outside the window! Right before we left a coyote ran by, pausing long enough at a bush for me to point my children's attention in his direction! Wow! 


Mom, Dad and baby Gambel's Quails. This photo was taken thru the window with my cellphone.



The library also features a Seed Library. Patrons can choose three seed packets a month.  A chart shows what to plant for each season. They are encouraged to donate seeds back to the program in the future.


The White Tank Mountains Nature Center is located inside the library. There we saw live snakes, scorpions and spiders of the area and saw displays with birds and other wildlife we may encounter. Maps and information for the mountain are available. A fee is charged to enter the mountains. We returned  to explore the White Tank Mountains the following week.


I found cactus wrens and Gilded Flickers (lifer) while hiking a portion of the Ford Canyon Trail, but on my way back to the truck, a cow was blocking the trail. (It was way bigger than it looks in this photo!)

 I stopped walking and started talking to her, realizing if I step off trail, I'll be surrounded by cactus. Then it happened. She lowered her head and started to charge at me! Yes, I screamed and jumped back. Fortunately it was a bluff charge and she stopped. With heart racing, I decided I'd rather dodge cactus than an angry cow. And yes, I did end up with a barbed cactus needle in my foot, which hurts a lot more coming out! Still not ready to leave, I took the wildlife trail to a small pond, and was rewarded with a lesser nighthawk calling and flying just after sunset. 



We visited Tres Rios Wetlands so I could bird while Asher fished. It's owned by the city and requires a permit which can be obtained the same day online for free. No shade and very little water is visible thru the vegetation, yet I still found it an interesting walk. Unfortunately while the trail map on site shows a loop trail, I found only a straight section was accessible. Asher caught some fish and I saw enough birds, lizards, and squirrels to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment