Sunday, September 10, 2017

Downsizing for the next adventure

With international travel in mind beginning in the first part of 2018, we decided to sell our big RV during the summer while there's a market for it. Not too many people are looking at RVs in the winter. I still really wanted to explore the eastern part of the US all the way up to Maine and into Canada, and those super old roads and bridges were not built for big RVs. We figured it would be easier to get a small RV that we could easily maneuver, fit into any campsite and still have most of the comforts of home. We ended up finding this 2013 Wolf Pup toy-hauler travel trailer.


Being a toy-hauler means that the entire back of the trailer opens down to become a ramp for ATVs, motorcycles, boats, etc so that you can take your toys with you. We don't have any "toys", but we like the idea of opening the back door to use as a patio. At 17ft long, it's a full 20ft smaller than our current RV! That's a big adjustment!

Here's a stock photo of what it looked like when we purchased it. The bunk bed is on the far side.


I've been wanting to redo an RV for awhile, but couldn't bring myself to paint the walls in our big RV because it was so new and I didn't want to potentially bring down the value. But this little RV was perfect for me to try out some ideas. The day we bought it, I grabbed paint samples and began dreaming of all the possibilities. I sanded the walls, ceiling and cabinets before priming and painting pretty much everything in the trailer. My mom helped me hang wallpaper late into the night on the outside of the bathroom. I purchased material from walmart and Goodwill to make blackout shades and recover the couch. Hobby Lobby had sales on some fun bird and travel related items that I just couldn't pass up. The final piece will be new flooring, however we're still waiting on flooring. One of the challenges of being mobile- when Home Depot's delivery is late, we're not in the area anymore. Argh! Here's what it looks like so far:

An unsightly wheel well is nicely covered by this storage unit that I found at the Restore and had my husband build for me. He added the extra wood to the bottom to fit over the well. One box holds our items that would normally be stored in the bathroom, and one holds all of the kids' toys. Yes, ALL of their toys have been whittled down to that box for the next 6 months. They do have a separate bag of art supplies, a small box of LEGO and Kindles. Even then, it's been a couple months already and they have barely played with any of the contents of the box.

My No-Sew pillows.
I used fabric glue to make covers from material squares I bought at Walmart. They're covering leather pillows I found at a flea market for $1 each. Love them!

Above the couch is our pantry. Four white plastic bins from the dollar store separate our food and camouflage nicely behind the cargo net.

I love it! And I love that my mom was here to help me.

I'll share more photos once the floor is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment