Friday, September 22, 2017

Back To My Beginning


After Great Smoky National Park, we stopped to stretch our legs at the Virginia Welcome Center. A man working there suggested a nearby campground along a marsh. He had me at marsh. Daddy set up camp at Sugar Hollow while I birded the area before we headed to downtown Bristol for a walk around town. Some of these photos are from my bird walk the next morning as well. Beautiful place!







The main street is the state line, so one side of the street is in Tennessee 
while the other is in Virginia. I love the lighted sign that bridges the two states together.




The next day we moved to a National Forest campsite at Stony Fork so we could make a run to West Virginia's New River. When I was a senior in high school, my class decided the senior trip would be to West Virginia. It didn't matter to me so much because I didn't have the money needed for the trip. In the days leading up to the trip, the principal called me into his office and offered to pay my way. Who knew that simple act of love would change the course of my life. During the week long trip, I had my first experiences of rock climbing, rappelling, mountain biking, kayaking and white water rafting. So when I think about West Virginia, the New River Gorge is the first place that comes to mind.











The trail from the visitor center was closed, but we managed to find a trail on
 the other side of the river allowing us to hike to a viewpoint nearly under the bridge.








The next morning we drove along the Blue Ridge National Highway 
(who knew our National Park System included highways?) to Shenandoah National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment