Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tahquamennon Falls in Michigan's Upper Penninsula

Crossing over the Mackinac Bridge into the Upper Penninsula 
was a fun experience...that the kids slept thru. Oh well. 


That three hour drive from Petoskey to Tahquamennon Falls also drove us from 
Summer right into Autumn. Cooler temps and colored leaves greeted us immediately. 


We hiked to the lower falls, it was a short walk from our campsite.
"Mommy come, this way!"





Asher has started this thing.... while at the zoo awhile back he played in the mister and then wanted me to hold him. I said, "no, you're wet." He replied, "but you love wet!" I laughed then picked him up. A little bit later he realized he was dry and excitedly said, "mommy, I was wet and sun came out and dried me off!" and then he gave me the strongest, tightest hug ever! Now he associates the sun with a big, strong hug, so he'll randomly tell me the story again and end it by throwing his arms around me for a tight squeeze. I love it! Daddy took this picture of Asher giving me one of his wonderful hugs here.



I love you so much!


We found a recently shed snake skin. Journey picked it up while Asher yelled, "no Journey, dirty."


The next day we rented a boat and paddled across to the island where we hiked a loop 
that took us to all five lower waterfalls. This was the kids' first small boat ride. 
(They rode a tour boat on Lake Powell a few months back.)







Teaching them to row was fun. They did well especially considering how big the oars are.



The Upper Falls are the second largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi, Niagara Falls are the largest.



No comments:

Post a Comment