Thursday, September 25, 2014

Milwaukee's Discovery World

Discovery World is a fantastically unique interactive museum focusing on music, movement, energy and water.




While the kids explored the cause and effect of mechanics, I snuck away to try out the flight simulator all by myself! It was fun and I called the family over to try it out. Asher and Journey both enjoyed it but crashed pretty dramatically. Daddy was the only one to successfully land his plane.




 Check out this giant hamster wheel for kids! I could use one of these. If only we could mount it to the back of the RV and have the kids generate electricity for us!


The underwater world was incredible, I mean when you take the elevator down and are greeted by fish before the doors even open, you know this is going to be unlike anything you've seen before! 


We walked over and under the fish. Standing over them was a dizzying feeling.



A submarine houses many interactive exhibits. Of course the kids liked the periscope. 


One of my favorites was the digital filleting of a fish. As you move a dial to the right, different parts are exposed to show the anatomy with labels for identification.


We touched live stingrays, sharks and sturgeon fish.


Next we headed upstairs to check out a real boat that rests between the floors of the museum.



This water exhibit was incredible. This chart shows that people in the US use an average of 150 gallons of water A DAY! What?! That is insane. We have a 55 gallon fresh water tank in the RV and that lasts us nearly a week if we use the campground showers. I know I used more water before I worried about running out of it, but 150 gallons a day per person seems outrageous!


One fun way to conserve water is to install a rain barrel, like my aunt and uncle just did. The barrel attaches to your rain gutters and supplies you with free water for your yard, garden, etc.


I'm not sure what I thought happened to sewage, but this is not what I expected. If you don't want to know, you can stop reading here.....
I'm serious....what I'm about to tell you cannot be unseen.....
Still here? Alrighty...
Sewage water (you know what I'm talking about) is "cleaned" thru a multi-step process and then recycled back into the lakes. And where do we get our drinking water....those same lakes! The water is again "cleaned" thru another multi-step process to give us the water we use to drink, wash and bathe in. Traumatized yet? Yah, me too.

It's hard to see in this photo, but this exhibit shows the entire cycle that the water goes thru from beginning to end using real water running thru. It really helps to actually see each step rather than trying to understand it by just reading thru the steps.


1 comment:

  1. I am sure glad that it goes to the lakes before trying to knock at my door

    ReplyDelete