Thursday, December 15, 2022

Sax Zim Bog & Duluth zoo


If you've watched The Big Year or read any birding books, you've probably heard of Sax Zim Bog, a place as unique as its name. We only had a few hours here as we moved from Rainy Lake to Duluth. We dropped the RV in the woods at what becomes the local ice skating rink in the winter, and went off to look for owls! Before you arrive, download the birder's map which shows the interesting mixture of public and private land and bird feeders with viewing areas provided by area homeowners! 


I made the mistake of assuming this boardwalk would continue thru Auggie's Bogwalk. It's extremely short, and of course I wasn't going to turn around, so I continued walking thru the bog and soon my shoes were underwater. Oh well. Next time, boots for birding the bog!

These little ferns were so lush and delicate!

We also explored the Fringed Venetian Bog and Winterberry Bog where I found the Winter Wrens I had heard about from a Sax Zim Bog volunteer we met on our way into the area.

This boardwalk did continue throughout, and it was a lovely walk.



Along the junction of 7 and 28, I found a Great Gray Owl! I'd seen one in our campground in Alaska once, but this place is known for them, so this was one of the birds I was hoping to see. Unfortunately it flushed as I was walking thru the area. Someday I'll get a photo of this incredible owl. 

The best time to visit is winter when you can see the owls easier and the bird feeders are loaded up. In the spring 19 species of warblers nest here! But you'll want to bring lots of bug spray!


We ended up staying at Indian Point campground as the suggestion of a birder I contacted in the area. This ended up being a nice location right on the water so Asher could fish and I could walk the trails.

Our campground trail feeds into the Waabizheshikana Trail. I found some great warblers in our campsite and along this trail. Yes, those are ski slopes you see in the distance! 



The Lake Superior Zoo is right down the road from our campground and has a great collection of animals including this Angolan Colobus and her one month old baby! 



Journey loved the lemurs. Who doesn't?

And of course, we never pass up a chance to see an axolotl!
 
We really enjoyed the nocturnal building, got to hear a Kookaburra calling and see a White-napped Crane from Asia. Our visit was free with our AZA pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment