Monday, November 21, 2022

Camping with Bison {Theodore Roosevelt NP}



Our first experience at Theodore Roosevelt National Park was a doozy! We arrived early evening to the Juniper Campground, the only one in the north unit of the park. After dark we heard a deep, rumbling sound thru our open windows. We turned off our lights, turned down the radio and strained to see in the dark. We couldn’t see anything, but the rumbling grew louder and sounded more like growling! It was coming closer! Daddy shined his flashlight and thru the darkness revealed a small herd of bison in our campsite! We’d never heard them make a noise before. The sound reminded me of an alligator bellowing, deep, guttural sound that will make your heart race and your hair stand on end! They came closer until two bison were less than 15 feet from the window we were watching from. Even though our lights were off, I feared they may see us in the window and charge the RV, so the kids and I ducked down until they passed. We could actually smell them! Afterwards we were just amazed at what he had just experienced! Wow! 

During my morning birding walk, I saw a few more bison, but all at a safe distance. Still, when I hear that rumble, it stops me in my tracks! Asher and I found "signs" left around the campground.



Ten longhorn steer live in the park, and we were lucky enough to see them twice.





After dinner, Journey and I walked the Little Mo nature trail and found a great variety of birds including, yellow-breasted chat, orchard oriole and lazuli buntings!



Our last night, a large herd of bison, 40+ with calves, came thru our campsite again. This time the kids watched from the roof of the RV. They were pretty rowdy, one even charged another right in front of us! Definitely a memorable ending to our stay here.



Denali was pretty shocked to see these GIANT animals right outside our windows!




We bought stickers of this stylized bison and I thought the wildlife petting chart was pretty funny. 



No comments:

Post a Comment