Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Birding Montana's NWRs



The morning we left Malta, Ann picked me up and we went birding at Bowdoin Lake National Wildlife Refuge. This seems to be a hot location. When researching it, I noticed a few Audubon clubs from other states have organized trips specifically to this refuge. It’s been very dry, which helps the bug situation, and by the way, it’s so bad in Malta, that a truck spraying a fog of pesticides drives thru the town every THREE days. But for wildlife, the drought is bad news. White alkali flats have replaced the water across most of the refuge. Ann doesn’t recall the water level ever being this low. Despite the dryness, we saw American White Pelicans nesting on a sandbar in the first section where a small amount of water remained. 



We had the delightful experience of finding four Burrowing Owls! Thru the scope, Ann was able to get a good look at their yellow eyes. 



Check her out- digiscoping already!

We saw a few pronghorn antelope and enjoyed watching them bounce across the refuge.

One of my target birds was the Lark Bunting, and we happily found 16 of them, both males and females!



Lark Buntings above, Western Meadowlark below


Once we reached the far side of the refuge, a good portion of water was visible again and the marsh contained a ton of activity! Black-necked Stilts with their pink legs grabbed Ann's attention.


A lone Wilson's Phalarope

And sadly it was time to say goodbye to Ann and continue east. We had so much fun visiting and seeing her hometown. Hopefully she will come visit us soon! 


A week prior, while we were staying in Great Falls, I spent half a day at Benton Lake National Wildlife Refuge. I was excited to read the Sharp-tailed Grouse can be seen from blinds here. When I called to inquire about access, I learned they were only at the blinds during their lek (mating season), and that time had passed. At this point the birds could be anywhere on the refuge. Shoot!


The refuge consists of expansive plains. This is called the pothole prairie. On the entrance road, I startled a bird, and low and behold it was none other than the SHARP-TAILED GROUSE! Not just one! I counted six of them! What luck and a great start to my day! At the visitor center, I asked about a handful of my target birds, one being the Ferruginous Hawk, and was told they used to be in the area, but no more. They have a nice collection of animal skins and skulls I'm sure my children would have liked to see.


I was delighted to find Eared Grebes toting their young on their back!



Along the water, the bugs were SERIOUS! 
I saw actual gray clouds of bugs. Yikes! Fortunately not the biting kind.




I noticed a Marbled Godwit chick in the grass near the marsh.

Then I spotted the parent keeping an eye on its young.

The water level was quite low and distant from the overlook. After this stop it was time to head home. 

On my way out, just before I passed the visitor center, I spotted this beauty standing in the prairie. 
A Ferruginous Hawk!!!


When I stepped out to take a photo, it took flight and a swallow took chase. What an amazing end to my day at the refuge! Of course I made one last stop at the visitor center where the rangers were excited to see my photos of the Ferruginous Hawk!


No comments:

Post a Comment