Monday, June 8, 2015

Monahans Sandhills State Park, Texas

I'm constantly watching for places that fellow RVers rave about in our Facebook groups. Monahans is one of those diamonds I would have never found otherwise. I'd read about campsites ON the dunes which my mind couldn't fully comprehend. You can't park an RV on soft sand! As we pulled up, I was so excited to see it was just as they said. A paved road runs thru with pull-thru sites off to the side for RVs. We literally stepped from our steps onto the sand which sloped steeply to a height of about 10 feet just 15 feet from our door. What a fabulous backyard for us to enjoy over the next five days!


These pictures were taken before we even set up the RV. The moment we pulled up the kids asked to be let out of the truck and they just started running and playing in the sand. They were in heaven! And the clouds! Aren't they just gorgeous?! I foolishly thought they'd be out the next day and they weren't. Wish I would have taken more photos our first day. 




During the day a few people would come by and play at the "day use" area, and there were a few
 other campers, but for the most part it felt like we had the place to ourselves. A wonderful feeling.






One of the best parts of being here was sledding the dunes! We started off with the smaller dunes and worked our way up to the bigger ones. Initially Journey was intimidated by it, but by the end of our stay, she was sledding by herself. Asher loved every bit of it!








We spent some time with this little girl who calls herself Fiona. 


Sledding just feet from our RV, so fun!






I love how well they play together. They really are best friends. 




I thought this would be a fun place to get out the tripod and capture 
a few family photos, something I need to do more often. Here is the result.









We really love this state park. It was one of our favorite campsites ever. We'll definitely be back! 

1 comment: