Friday, August 12, 2022

Return to Red Rock

 

We took our Israeli friends to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. This place is so dear to us. We've had many adventures here and once upon a time, we were married on the north side of these mountains! 


Our first stop was the visitor center to get Jr Ranger books. There are a number of displays and info plus a sweeping view of the park.

This was early June and the weather was unseasonably hot- I believe it reached 110 while we were there. So we arrived in the morning and limited our hiking. We always stop along the 13 mile scenic drive at Calico for the views and to scramble around a bit. 



We even spotted a chuckwalla! I didn't know they lived in the area. Makes me wonder why I never noticed them before. Birding definitely increases your awareness of your surroundings and provides a much more rewarding outdoor experience. I found this Say's Phoebe with bluish-gray feathers. Seems unusual.


The view from the High Point Overlook. I climbed the rainbow mountain one New Year's Day.




We checked out a new hike, the Fire Ecology Loop in Pine Creek Canyon. 








No comments:

Post a Comment