Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Chiricahuas: Camping and Birding


We wanted to spend more time in the Chiricahuas and hopefully see more wildlife. After our 7 mile hike, we drove the Pinery Road from west to east, ending up at Portal the next day. Since we were tent camping and losing light, we didn't want to camp too high on the mountain, and found a nice spot along a dry creek bed. The dispersed campsites along the first few miles are free and spread out about 3 per mile. We quickly opened our rooftop tent and changed into warmer clothes.  Sitting around the fire with a bowl of hot soup was a nice end to our adventurous day. 


We left early the next morning to make it to Portal for some birding. The views were gorgeous and there were a few great stops along the way. The bend along East Turkey Creek was especially good for birds. I found a handful of warblers including a Townsend's, a Yellow-eyed Junco and this striking Painted Redstart.



As we were nearing Portal, we stopped at the Visitor Information Center and I received this helpful birder's map along with directions to TURN IMMEDIATELY AROUND and try for the Trogan. We didn't have much time, but followed the advice anyway. I didn't see the Trogan, but I did see a few other nice birds. 


While I was getting the map, the kids were busy climbing trees.

 Trogan hunting while the kids played in the stream below.


Cave Creek Ranch was highly recommended to me by friends. This lodge has feeders set up in common areas with chairs in shady places so you can relax and watch the birds in comfort. This was absolutely delightful! I was also told to walk behind the office, so I was torn on how to spend my hour here. Every time I thought, ok, time for a walk, a new bird would swoop in. So I ended up at the feeders almost the whole time.

Best way to spend $5! It's hard to see in the photo, but there are about 7 feeders on this line between the tree and stump.

Again, the feeders are between the tree and stump, so pretty close to the chairs.


Black-headed Grosbeak  (above)      Acorn Woodpecker  (below)



No comments:

Post a Comment