Friday, December 31, 2021

2021 {Year in Review}


Despite still living under the threat of COVID, we managed to have a pretty good year. Physical therapy for my shoulder finally ended, after 9 long months, and we were again free to travel. We took a six week trip north visiting Charleston’s historical forts and sites, then Ohio to see family for the first time in two years. We attended Twinfest again, but this time with friends (the Durens). Grandpa took us on our first fishing charter experience at Lake Erie. In the fall we returned to the Keys with the Gebbias, this time staying a full two weeks and reconnecting with the Logsdon family, who taught us to how to go “bugging” (AKA lobstering). Turns out Asher is quite good at it! He also caught a stingray, a crab and a 6ft shark! I was able to spend some time at the Curry Hammock Hawkwatch station with Luis and Mariah. Back at home Asher caught a SIX pound bass in the yard. I cleaned and cooked it, which was a bit traumatic for all of us, and though it was tasty, we decided catch and release is more for us. 


After our August 2020 accident, I really needed my parents. My mom ended up coming to visit for 3 weeks in November. I needed it so bad and was so happy to have her with us. We were able to heal some past hurts and talk about the future. She also took me to my ridiculous amount of appointments, which gave Daddy and the kids a break from sitting in parking lots waiting for me. We also spent a couple days visiting her cousin, Joni, in Dunedin. My dad came for a week in May. I was doing better by then, so we took him fishing, swimming at Silver Glen, and I treated him to a tram tour of Carney Island.


The kids tried new things: They created and ran a mobile coffee shop at two Crossfit events, where DJ Journey made her debut. We hand-fed tarpon in the Keys. They learned to dive at the pool on Joint Base Charleston, they tried (and love) frisbee golf, they learned to play cards with the adults (“the neighborly game”), and joined Crossfit the day they turned 10. It’s still shocking to me that they do the same workout as the adults! The kids attended summer camp where they learned to use bows and arrows safely and accurately and throw axes! Journey learned to play the ukelele. Despite four years of fulltime RVing, we had never had to shelter from a major storm, however while in Charleston, Tropical Storm Elsa, came thru and we ended up sheltering in a bathroom with 2 other families and their pets for an hour in our pajamas. Good times! 


We were invited to a special Veteran’s Day camping event in Sarasota where Asher won an all-ages fishing contest and brought home a $200 rod and reel! We also enjoyed a weekend of camping at Otter Springs with our ITEC friends. When I went to Sarasota for RRT, we stayed at Rambler’s Rest in Venice and went bowling with Uncle Eric. We went shark tooth hunting in the Peace River. Lisa’s family met us for a day at the beach while they were in town. The kids and I went to the bird banding station.


After my struggles with panic attacks and anxiety, I found RRT (Rapid Resolution Therapy) was a great way to painlessly process traumatic events and become free from those automatic post-traumatic stress responses and troubling thoughts. It helped me so much that I went thru the training to be able to help others with RRT. 


One of my favorite things that happened in 2021 is birding related. Go figure. I was leading walks for our local chapter and a woman attended two in one day, yes, two. She then began inviting me to bird with her and two other friends. I have had SO MUCH FUN with these three ladies over the last year! I am so thankful for Liz, Alice and Wendy for accepting me into their group. I have been hesitant to bird alone, but now I know I always have them to call, because they bird every. single. day! They are all excellent birders and we all learn a lot from each other. One other wonderful birding memory from this year was when my friend, Jim, called one day and asked me to come over quickly and bring my camera. He had found a rare bird. Like SUPER rare. The bird lives in South America! It caused quite a stir, not just locally, but across North America. Over time I heard it spoken about on podcasts and my photos were featured in a national magazine! 



In all we visited 4 national park sites:

Cuyahoga

Congaree

Ft Sumter

Ft Moultrie


5 state parks:

Hocking Hills

Silver Springs

Malabar Farm

Bahia Honda

Curry Hammock



No comments:

Post a Comment