Wednesday, August 15, 2018

An unexpected trip to Ohio

While in Las Vegas, we were dealing with multiple mechanical issues with our truck. After more than a week of delays, Daddy asked if we'd rather fly to Ohio to spend some time with family while he waited on the repairs. Of course I jumped at the chance to not only see family, but avoid the four day straight drive with the kids. We booked red-eye flights for the very next day.


After our early morning arrival, I didn't see Asher for a little bit and found him fast asleep on the bedroom floor!

We had fun spending time with cousins at Grandpa's house.



Dodgeball!

Basketball


I even got in some good batting practice!

We spent time with my Aunt Janie at the Ohio Bird Sanctuary where
we fed the very bold Bluejays before meeting the birds of prey.




 A house finch built a nest in my brother's wreath. We enjoyed watching them grow during our visit.


Sadly, one of the babies fell from the nest shortly after hatching and died. Such a tiny, fragile thing.

We walked thru Creekside park in Gahanna a few times. It's so pretty there and right next to the Wendy's where I worked in high school.




The kids had fun playing in the creek. They spotted three snakes and caught the largest bullfrog I've ever seen!




 Grandpa and Grandma took us to walk around Dawes Arboretum. 







 And to Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park to look for birds and bison.

The kids finally watched The Wizard of Oz.


 We spent a night up north with my Aunt and Uncle, exploring Mill Creek Park before heading home. Built in 1846, Lanterman's Mill still grinds corn, wheat and buckwheat just as it did so many years ago.


The Biggest Week in American Birding also happened to be going on, so of course I had to make a trip up to Magee Marsh on the shores of Lake Erie. A friend had spotted a Snowy Owl, so my parents drove me up the next morning, leaving at 5am in hopes of seeing this owl that should not be here. After searching for over half an hour, my friend gave up and we made one last pass thru the area. Just then we spotted a line of cars in the otherwise deserted area. Once we got close, we saw the owl sitting on a barn. We watched as he flew down into a field. Unfortunately he was too far away for me to get a good photo. Still a wonderful siting and one I didn't think I'd have for years to come since I'm 'allergic' to cold weather. 



Upon arrival at Magee Marsh, we heard of a rare bird sighting. When you see a group like this, you definitely want to find out what they're looking at. Chances are you'll want to see it too!


Cape May Warbler

American Woodcock

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak

Wild Turkeys in Central Ohio

We spent lots of time at different parks this visit. It's fun to discover new places after having spent my first 30 years here. I tend to find something new each time we visit, like this Char-Mar Ridge Preserve.


On our flight to Florida, the pilot invited the kids into the cockpit for a fun experience! 
Thanks Allegiant Airlines! 

No comments:

Post a Comment