Friday, June 9, 2017

Lakeland {Swans, Gators and Lubbers}




I really enjoyed Lakeland, Florida. With 38 lakes in the area, there is plenty to do. 
The downtown area around Lake Mirror is peaceful and beautiful with 
interesting architecture and beautiful gardens wrapping around the lake. 




 I managed to pick up two life birds here, the black swan and the common shelduck (below).

Lakeland is home to many special swans. The first swans were seen here in 1923, but 30 years later, they had all been killed by disease and predators (alligators and pets). One swan-loving resident, sent a letter explaining her disappointment to Queen Elizabeth, who in turn sent two of her own Mute Swans to repopulate the city. The descendants of those royal swans now number around 80 and live primarily in Lake Morton, but can be seen in other nearby lakes.

 It was shocking to not only see so many swans together, I counted 43 Mute Swans, but also so many different kinds. I saw Black Swans, Black-Necked Swans and a grey pair that are likely Mute/Black hybrids, and lots of cygnets!


This mama was caring for eggs and hatchlings.


Isn't it ridiculous how cute these Mute Swan cygnets are?

 Normally shy, these wood ducks were more relaxed and let me grab a few photos.


The funniest part of the day was when a huge flock of white ibises followed Asher thru 
the park like he was the Pied Piper! So funny! Evidently people have been feeding them. 

The main reason we stayed in Lakeland was because that is where Circle B Bar Reserve is located.

My birding friends introduced me to this place a month earlier and I was just in love with how close you could be to so many different species of birds. I could hardly wait to return with my children. Sadly, the water levels were so low, what were the best ponds previously, were now completely dry, which also meant the birds had moved on. We still saw lots of wildlife, but nothing like my first visit. We saw alligators, turtles, alligators, birds and more alligators.



Watching an alligator about 12ft from the edge of the trail.

 I watched a Common Gallinule feed her chicks. 







I was lucky enough to spot a Red-Shouldered Hawk feeding her young. 
I managed to get this photo of one of the nestlings. 

To make the day more interesting, we ended our hike with a snake and this Eastern Lubber Grasshopper, which I mistakenly have been calling a "lover" grasshopper all year. 


 Earlier in the year we found groups of maybe 20 of these tiny little guys on our walks. They are very striking with their black, red and yellow coloring. We learned that they are poisonous (to eat), so their only predator is the Northern Shrike (bird). It will skewer the grasshopper on a barb or thorn and leave it there to roast in the sun, killing off the poison, before returning to eat it.




No comments:

Post a Comment