Sunday, August 30, 2015

Picking huckleberries on Schweitzer mountain, Sandpoint, Idaho

We attended the Huckleberry Festival on Schweitzer Mountain in Sandpoint. We'd never tried huckleberries before, so this was exciting for a couple reasons. Journey even asked me to give her a stripe of purple hair for the occasion. 


After meeting the vendors and trying some fresh fruit, we were ready to take the kids on their very first ski lift ride. I do not have any fear of heights, but I will admit it made me nervous having my kids on this. There was a safety bar that came across our laps, so I really shouldn't have worried. The kids enjoyed it and weren't scared at all. (They are squatting because I'm squatting to take their photo, ha!)



Seeing the view from the top was what I'd been looking forward to for a long time. A friend was married up here a couple years ago, so I really wanted to see the view of the lakes from her photos. Unfortunately there are some wildfires burning right now, so the smoke greatly reduced visibility. Someday we'll come back and see it on a clear day.

The view while riding back down was still pretty amazing. We could only see to the resort, so I can just image how magnificent it would be to ride this while looking out at the lakes and town thousands of feet below. That's Asher and Daddy riding in front of us.


Next we went hunting for huckleberries. The resort provided a shuttle to take us to the best area. Unfortunately we were with the last group for the day, so they were pretty picked over, but we still found a few handfuls and ate them on our way back to the resort.



We shared a piece of huckleberry pie before heading to the beach.




Before heading home we stopped to play at the Sandpoint City Beach Park on Lake Pend Oreille. Again the smoke was an issue, but you could still see the beauty of this area despite it. Next time we're in this area, I think we'll stay in both CDA and Sandpoint.






No comments:

Post a Comment